Best Convertible Car Seat for Small Cars Reviews For 2018
When you ride in a car, you are protected by the seatbelt and the airbags that you are surrounded by in the front of the vehicle. Your child isn’t so fortunate to have those devices to protect them, so they rely on the safety of a car seat.
Convertible car seats have impact absorbing foam and headrests that keep your child stable and secure in the event of the sudden stop. In some cases, babies tend to slide forward and hit their heads on the back of the seats, The car seat prevents any impact to the head and keeps the baby securely in the seat.
However, not just any car seat is right for your baby. The safety and testing standards that car seats must pass are regulated by the government to make sure your child is protected
So, in this article, I will help you with how to find the best convertible car seat for small cars that is safe for your baby and fits your car”
Choosing the Right Car Seat
When picking a car seat, there are three main things to consider. I first look at you need a car seat that will hold up through the years of wear and tear it will go through as your kids grow older.
The second thing is safety; I look for the connection to the seat, stability, and the harness all to make sure the quality of the car seat is acceptable.
Lastly, I look at affordability; are these car seats in a price range I can afford for the features they offer and the materials used to make them.
below is how I start with finding the best convertible car seat for small cars. But, first see our quick comparison top 5 best products on Amazon.com
Quick Comparison: Top 5 Best Convertible Car Seat For Small Cars
Convertible Car Seat
**Below, you'll find our short reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices, detail about product or read customer reviews on Amazon.com.
What to Look for in a Car Seat
There are always features that you can find the best car seat for small cars that can enhance your child’s experience in the car, or irritate them to no end.
If your child is old enough to have snacks and coloring books, then you may want to invest in a tray. Opposite, you may want to find a soft toy for them to play with during the ride.
Not all car seats will offer padded straps, if you want to purchase some, they come in many different colors and can fit any child’s likes.
A convertible car seat is a better option if changing out the sizes for your growing child is an easy task. Most parents do not have time to fiddle with mechanisms and locks when they are trying to go from car seat to booster.
Advantages to Using a Convertible Car Seat
- 1. You will not have to buy multiple car seats. This car seat will grow with the child, providing them with protection until they are old enough not to use a car seat.
- 2. Convertible car seats now add more head support. In the advancements of car seat safety, convertible car seats are one of the top rated car seats to invest in for your child. They have added head support and features that will protect the child’s head in the case of an incident.
- 3. Your child can use the rear-facing feature longer. Most car seats only fit your child until they reach a certain height. If you want to keep your child in the safest position, rear-facing, for the first two years, then you should use a convertible car seat.
Disadvantages to Using a Convertible Car Seat
- Most convertible car seats are not removable. This means that if you want to carry your child around, you will need to hold them or have a stroller. The car seat is not coming with you.
- You will probably wake your child. If they find comfort in their car seat and they often slumber while you drive, when you go to take them out of the car, you will disturb their sleep and wake them up as you remove them from the car seat.
- Convertible car seats cost more than regular car seats. This is an investment, so the initial cost will be higher than purchasing a regular car seat. However, the advantages outweigh the cost. This is a bit harder for people with tight budgets that must save the money for this car seat.
Top Rated Best Convertible Car Seat for Small Cars Reviews
Here are my five favorite car seats that all fit the things I am looking for in a car seat and can have added features to them.
Evenflo Tribute LX Convertible Car Seat, Saturn is made of 100% polyester, so it is easy to clean. This model of car seat is made to withstand side impacts and exceeds the crash test structural integrity by 2x the Federal standards recommend.
This car seat is lightweight and is compact, so it leaves plenty of room for other children in the car, luggage, groceries, or pets. The harness adjusts from tight to loose by the front, but have four positions for the harness and two positions for the buckle as your child grows.
The multiple position harness is made to increase the use for growing children and to provide comfort. This model does come with a cup holder attached to the side, and the head pillow is removable.
- This lightweight car seat is only 9.1 pounds.
- Is a forward and rear-facing car seat that can hold up to 40 pounds of weight.
- The bottom pad and pillow are removable and machine washable.
- Exceeds safety guidelines and crash tests.
- Is installed with the smooth latch-click method and can be moved to other vehicles.
- Is not made for infants younger than two months very well.
- The quality of the car seat looks cheap and poorly made.
- The plastic seat has sharp edges and can cause harm to parents and children.
- The car seat is not comfortable or padded well.
Graco My Ride 65 LX Convertible Car Seat, Coda has a body made of metal and plastic with a machine washable cover. This car seat has an energy absorbing foam that will absorb an impact to protect your child better.
In the rear-facing position, it can hold children up to 40 pounds, while forward-facing it can hold a child up to 65 lbs. This car seat has not only been tested for crash tests, but also for structural integrity at high and low temperatures.
This car seat has two built-in cup holders and a removable pillow as your child ages. The five-point safety harness keeps your child right where they belong.
- It exceeds crash tests, impact tests, and structural integrity tests.
- Two cup holders built in for safety.
- It can hold children longer than other car seats.
- Lightweight model is about 15.8 pounds.
- Children cannot exceed 49” to fit in this car seat.
- In smaller vehicles, rear-facing becomes a problem.
- It has a large footprint in the backseat of small cars.
Graco Contender 65 Convertible Car Seat, Glacier is made to protect your child from 5 to 65 pounds and to grow with them. The harness is a 5-point simple harness that adjusts on its own to fit the child securely. The headrest and harness automatically adjust as your child grows.
This car seat is side-impact tested and meets the standards for crash tests. The engineering put into this car seat is to make a comfortable, safe car seat you can rely on. This car seat features eight positions to fit your child’s needs, all with a one-handed design.
This car seat leaves a small footprint on your backseat, providing you with all the space you need for other things. The headrest provides vital cushioning and protection while the bottom cushion provides comfort.
- This car seat has an easy adjustment using the headrest.
- Features 8 positions to fit your child at every stage of growth.
- Comfortable padding and cushion that also offer protection and safety.
- The lightweight model weighs only 15.2 pounds.
- The seat cover is removable and machine washable.
- This car seat is made entirely of plastic.
- This car seat is suitable for kids under 49” in height.
- The plastic material can have sharp edges and looks cheap.
Evenflo Symphony DLX All-In-One Convertible Car Seat, Paramount is an all in one car seat that adjusts to children as they grow and develop. This car seat can hold children up to 110 pounds and provides you with both rear-facing and front-facing capabilities.
This model is easy to install with a latch system that you can do in under 60 seconds. The 5-point harness is easy to adjust and provides your child with a perfect fit each time. This car seat also has side impact tested to make sure your child is safe and protected in their car seat.
This car seat features an easy to use slide harness that makes it easy to adjust as your child grows, without rethreading. It also has a simple one-push tightening to secure the seat to the backseat every time. Lastly, there are two cup holders to place drinks in for your child.
- This car seat can hold a child up to 110 lbs.
- This model has a height limit of 57”.
- Simple tightening system makes it easy to secure your car seat every time.
- Comfortable harness adjusting so you do not have to rethread the straps.
- Simple installation can be done in under 60 seconds.
- This car seat is a little more expensive.
- This car seat weighs over 20 pounds.
- This seat is uncomfortable for smaller infants with no head control.
Graco Size4Me 65 Convertible Car Seat, Pierce fits your child up to 65 pounds and 49” in height. This model is rigorously tested to exceed all crash tests, safety tests, and impact standards. This car seat is easy to install and remove from the car as needed.
The 5-point harness system has been tested to make sure your child is protected from all impacts and has improved head support. This car seat also contains impact absorbing foam to increase their protection during an accident.
The harness position is easily adjusted with one hand to accommodate your growing child. You will not have to worry about rethreading your car seat or fussing with the back of the car seat. This car seat takes up an average amount of backseat space.
- Includes an easy to use an adjustable harness.
- Rigorously tested to make sure the standards are above expectation.
- The pads are machine washable for easy cleaning.
- This car seat has eight adjustable positions and three recline features.
- This car seat weighs over 20 pounds.
- This car seat does not have much padding for your children.
- The chest clip slides down from the movement of your child.
- The tightening strap it is hard to pull.
Choosing the Best Option for Your Family
I have gone through the five options and through research, I have determined the best convertible car seat for small cars is going to have to be the Evenflo Symphony DLX All-In-One Convertible Car Seat, Paramount.
This car seat is made to be safe for the number of tests it undergoes and the superior materials it is made from. This seat will fit your child as they continue to grow out of their car seat. It is a significant investment in the initial price, but well worth the safety standards and ease of use.
It hits all the marks when I compare to my options and taking the price and dividing it by the number of years and uses my child could get out of it. Skimping on the safety of your child should never be considered.